The Ristband music platform (formerly known as Overview Ark) launched an alpha version at SXSW during co-founder Roman Rappak’s mixed reality show with his band Miro Shot that I previously covered in episode #1082. Ristband is described as “your portal to the metaverse” in order to “perform shows, discover music, play games, and hang out with friends.”
I spoke with the other co-founder of Ristband Anne McKinnon to hear more about her journey into VR, how she started collaborating with Miro Shot in 2017, her XR blogging at The Boolean, getting an Epic Megagrant and implementing Pixel Streaming to get AAA-quality graphics, Ristband’s Report on Diversity in the Metaverse [PDF], their evolving business model and how web3, NFTs, or cryptocurrency may be explored through third-party integrations.
I’m currently bit skeptical for how web3 will integrate into the Metaverse that I started to detail here in this Twitter thread, but here are some resources that have influenced my thinking on the topic:
- Marlinspike, Moxie (2022, January 07). My first impressions of web3. Moxie Marlinspike Blog. Retrieved on May 15, 2022 from https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html
- Dániel Kondor, Nikola Bulatovic, József Stéger, István Csabai, and Gábor Vattay. (2021, 23 August). The Rich Still Get Richer: Empirical Comparison of Preferential Attachment via Linking Statistics in Bitcoin and Ethereum. Frontiers in Blockchain.
- Olson, Dan (2022, January 21). Line Go Up – The Problem with NFTs. YouTube. Retrieved on May 15, 2022 from https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g
- münecat (2022, March 19). Web3.0: A Libertarian Dystopia. YouTube. Retrieved on May 15, 2022 from https://youtu.be/u-sNSjS8cq0
- Zhang, Alice Yuan (2022, April 28). Unpacking the Myth of Web3: Decentralization of What? Alice Yuan Zhang. Retrieved on May 15, 2022 from https://aliceyuanzhang.com/decentralization
- Bauwens, M. & Pazaitis, A (2019, June) P2P Accounting for Planetary Survival: Towards a P2P Infrastructure for a Socially Just Circular Society. Joint publication between the P2P Foundation, Guerrilla Foundation, and Schoepflin Foundation. Retrieved from https://p2pfoundation.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/AccountingForPlanetarySurvival_def.pdf
McKinnon said that the exact business models of the Metaverse are still evolving, and they’ll be exploring whatever emerging tech platforms best serve the needs of independent musicians to be able to hold compelling music experiences on an immersive platform, to enable fans to discover new artists and facilitate the connection to other fans, provide VIP experiences, provide monetization opportunities for digital merch (whether 1st-party implementations or 3rd-party integrations). Right now they’re using cloud rendering and pixel streaming technology, and so it’s not a fully immersive VR experience just yet.
Ristband is an event-based platform that’s still in an alpha phase, and so be sure to join their Discord to hear more about upcoming events to check out their platform.
LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE OF THE VOICES OF VR PODCAST
This is a listener-supported podcast through the Voices of VR Patreon.